Friday, September 4, 2009

Detroit Tigers broadcasting legend Ernie Harwell is Michigan's most beloved figure

I was 19 years old and trying to figure out how to be a journalist when I interviewed Ernie Harwell.

My friend Todd introduced me to the broadcasting legend. Todd struck up a conversation with Ernie at a Detroit Tigers winter media tour stop by mentioning that Todd and his mom had met Ernie previously at the ballpark.

I got the idea that Ernie really did remember Todd and his mom, but maybe he was just being nice.

That's the kind of guy that Ernie is. By now you've probably heard that Ernie Harwell has been diagnosed with incurable cancer.

There is no more beloved figure in Michigan than Ernie Harwell. And it's not even close. Try to come up with the second-most-beloved person in Michigan.

Ernie is one of the most genuinely kind people you'll ever encounter.

If you ask a newspaper reporter about Ernie Harwell, chances are he or she has interviewed the Hall-of-Famer at some point. Often it was when the reporter worked at a small newspaper that might seem insignificant to someone who has been interviewed by most of the nation's major media outlets.

But Ernie doesn't care. He's nice to everyone.

We should all try to be a little bit more like Ernie Harwell.

4 comments:

  1. I wish I would have had the chance to meet him. He's not quite to the level of Ernie, but when I worked at the little 'ole Flushing Observer, I had the chance to interview Curtis Ganderson and he treated me with much the same kind of respect.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bob, you are so correct. When I was working at the tiny Albion Recorder, not only was I granted a one-on-one interview with Ernie, but Ernie came to the paper. Although I had a chance to speak with him several times after that, the first meeting was intimidating - until we got talking.

    The thing that has always stood out in my mind about that interview is this: I asked Ernie how much longer he planned to do his broadcasting, and his answer was something along the lines of "I'm not ready to stop, but who knows, maybe they'll fire me." I laughed and said "they'll never fire you, Ernie," and years later I was proven wrong.

    Strange how things turn out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Chip,

    I can't say that anyone that famous came to see me at the Albion Recorder.

    Speaking of Ernie being fired, I still cringe when I hear Rick Rizzs' voice during Seattle Mariners highlights.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bob, your last line in your original post says it all. Enjoyable read. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete